My First Saved Seeds Have Sprouted!

Back in October, I collected echinacea seeds from a spent flower I saw on Stanford’s campus.

I sowed four seeds indoors in one pot on January 9th, not knowing what to expect. I was a little worried because some sites I read said you should cold-stratify echinacea seeds to improve germination, but other people said it didn’t matter. I didn’t cold stratify these seeds (because I didn’t read those sites until I was about to plant the seeds).

On Wednesday night, I noticed two sprouts poking their leaves out of the soil, and by Friday night, there were three!

If you squint, you can see a fourth sprout (!) poking up at 12:00 in the photo above. That’s nearly a 100% germination rate, in 10-12 days. Not too shabby for some seeds I collected for free from a dead flower on campus.

(Ignore the algae in the pot…I’m not really sure what to do about that. None of the other pots have any algae.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.